Tokyo Vivaldi Ensemble
Tokyo Vivaldi Ensemble (TVE) was founded in 1961 by graduates from the faculty of string music of the Tokyo University of Fine Arts and Music.
After holding its first concert at the Tokyo Bunka Kaikan Hall, TVE made three concert tours in Europe during the 1970s with great success establishing its reputation as a leading string chamber music orchestra in Japan.
Since its inception, TVE has consisted of five string sections and a cembalo for developing an up-to-date Italian baroque sound.
Since 1988, soloists held in high esteem have been invited to lead the spring concerts for featuring the desire to enjoy Vivaldi's "Le Quattro Stagioni" in starting the new year and also the fall concerts for performing the many pieces of Vivaldi's work which represent his virtuosity, in combination with modern and contemporary music.
The members of TVE are entirely male and are known to produce a deep sound with fine music quality without a conductor.
Recent additions to the TVE concert activities, such as the following, have broadened its appeal among its fans.
* The addition of the Xmas concert to the annual regular concerts since 2000.
* The release of a CD commemorating the 40th anniversary of TVE in 2001.
* The performance of "Yumi no tsuki" composed by Yuzo Toyama by commission from TVE.
* The addition, since 2003, of the popular music concert, programed from supporter's requests, to the annual regular concerts.
* The inception, in 2004, of the "Chamber Music of Tokyo Vivaldi" titled as "The musical picture book fantasy".
* The world premiere, in 2005, of B. Porena's cembalo concert composed by commission from TVE.
* The CD jointly released with Giovanni Guglielmo in September, 2005 was highly praised as an excellent milestone in Italian music.
* The regular concert of February, 2005 to which Goran Sollscher, the guitarist of Sweden, was invited as a soloist was a big success.
* Commemorating the 45th anniversary of TVE, a CD featuring unaccompanied cello music performed by Ko Watanabe, theTVE representative, was released in 2006.
* The 2007 New Year concert was commemorated as the 20th concert.
* The release of a CD of cello music performed by Ko Watanabe in 2007(Requiebros).
* The release of a CD of TVE in 2008(Adagio for strings).
* The release of a CD of cello music performed by Ko Watanabe in 2012 (O canto do cisne negro).
TVE is supported by the Vivaldi Society of Japan, regular members, supporting members and fan club members.